Administrators, or sysops, are editors who have access to technical features that help with maintenance. Those include protecting and deleting pages, blocking other editors, and undoing these actions as well.
What can administrators do?
The wiki software has a few important features that are restricted to only administrators and bureaucrats.
- Edit the protected pages.
- Protect and unprotect pages.
- Delete pages, including images, and their history.
- View and restore deleted pages, including images, and their history.
- Block and unblock users, IP address, and IP ranges.
- Revert pages quickly via the [rollback] method.
- One-click rollback is mainly intended for vandalism, spam, etc. Disputed content deserves an explanation, either in the edit summary or on the talk page, and it is not nice to omit that (either by rolling back, or by leaving the summary field blank).
- Change the text and style of the interface by editing the pages in the MediaWiki namespace or MediaWiki:Monobook.css
- Can view Special:Unwatchedpages to see pages which may be more vulnerable to vandalism.
How do I become an admin?
If you have been around for a while, other users will notice your good work and recognize you for your work.
Be careful, please! If you are granted access, we ask that you exercise care in using these functions, especially the ability to delete pages and their history, to delete images, and the ability to block IP addresses. You can learn about your powers at the Wikipedia:Administrators' how-to guide. You should also take a look at the pages linked from the Wikipedia:Administrators' reading list before using any of your admin abilities.
Types of identified users, listed here in roughly ascending order of power, include:
- IP addresses - Visitors who haven't "signed in" can still do most things, including editing articles.
- Registered/Logged-in users can do everything IP addresses can do, but they can also upload files, move pages, and start new articles; see Special:Userlogin to sign yourself up!
- Bots are flagged as bot edits in page histories and do not show up in the recent changes by default.
- Administrators (sysops) - see Runescape:Administrators#What can administrators do?
- Bureaucrats can turn other users into sysops or bureaucrats and change usernames. Bureaucrats are created by other bureaucrats on projects where these exist. Sysoppings are recorded in Special:Log/rights.
- Staff are employees of Wikia Inc. They can change any user's access level and grant bot status.
List of Administrators
An asterisk denotes a user with bureaucrat status.