Temporal range: Late Cretaceous
|An artist's illustration of Corythosaurus casuarius|
| †Corythosaurus casuarius|
Corythosaurus was an advanced hadrosaur which lived during the Late Cretaceous Period. Corythosaurus was an ornithician (bird-hipped) dinosaur, and had a tall crest shaped like a semicircle, which may have flushed red during the mating season, much like some pterosaur crests. Corythosaurus had the typical hadrosarian features, such as the ever-present 'duck billed' snout and biped stance. Corythosaurus is thought to have been a social animal, and it was most likely to have conveged in large herds.
Corythosaurus was a lambeosaurine hadrosaur. It was about 9.5–10 m long and 4 m high. Like its relatives, it had a noticeable crest on its head, in this case - similar in shape to an ancient Corynthian (Greek) helmet - hence the dinosaur's name. Corythosaurus had tough, pebbly skin that may have offered some protection against predator attacks, and was built similar to other hadrosaurs - it usually walked on all four, but it could stand up onto its hind legs for a better look around or to reach some high-growing foliage. It was probably a social dinosaur and lived in loosely-knit herds for better mutual protection.
Popular Culture Edit
- A herd of Corythosaurs and Parasaurolophus is featured in the film Jurassic Park III.
- Corythosaurus was featured as a three-star large herbivore in the video game Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. It is known for making a quick whooping howl. It likes to socialize with Edmontosaurus and Parasaurolophus if placed together. The Corythosaurus seems to be one of the common prey for Tyrannosaurus.
- Corythosaurus also made appearances in the sequels of The Land Before Time.
- It appears in Dino Dan.
- Corythosaurus can be created in Jurassic Park III: Park Builder.
- Corythosaurus is featured in the DVD game Jurassic Park: Explorer. A player collects a dinosaur when he/she wins a minigame.
- Corythosaurus is one of the available dinosaurs in Jurassic Park: Builder.
- Corythosaurus is one of the available dinosaurs in Jurassic World: The Game.
- Corythosaurus was in LEGO: Jurassic World and did many of the same things as Corythosaurus did in Jurassic Park III. The amber piece is found on "Landing Site," Part 1 and can be obtained by having a jumper (any female) character to run inside the radio tower at the back left. (It's a non-LEGO tower with a satellite dish.) The Amber Brick is hovering just behind it to the right. The player can hop up to the left onto the jump wall, then immediately jump right. The amber piece will be atop the wooden platform.
- Corythosaurus was one of the many dinosaurs created by InGen for Jurassic Park in the Topps comic Return to Jurassic Park V. In their enclosure, the park's only known herd of Corythosaurus lived alongside with appeared to be a lone Saurolophus.
- It has appeared in Lindberg's model toy line based on the first Jurassic Park film. A customized version of this figure has been made as well.