Temporal range: Late Cretaceous
|An artist's illustration of Ankylosaurus magniventris|
| Ankylosaurus magniventris|
Ankylosaurus was an ankylosaur that lived in the Late Cretaceous Period 68-65.5 million years ago. It lived until the final stage of the Maastrichian stage during this period. It was the largest known of its kind, and presumably lived up to the end of the Cretaceous, when the dinosaurs became extinct.
Ankylosaurus was one of the most protected dinosaurs of its time. To protect itself, its back was covered in bony plates that were impenetrable, even its eyelids had bones in them. And if that wasn't enough, it had a giant club at the end of it's tail which was used like a medieval mace and swung an 45 degrees in either direction, it was made of soft-tissue, marrow, blood & fat. By swinging the club, it had enough force to break the leg bones of and immobilize most carnivores like Tyrannosaurus.
Ankylosaurus ate plants, was found all over North America and could grow as long as 30 ft (9m) and its named means "fused lizard".
In the mediaEdit
- This dinosaur was featured in the Disney movie, Dinosaur, as Earl, a pet which acted like a dog. Of course, this was not meant to be accurate, but for entertainment.
- Ankylosaurus was shown in Walking with Dinosaurs in Episode 6, Death of a Dynasty, where it killed a mother T. rex with its' club.
- It will be in the upcoming game Saurian as a playble dinosaur.
- Ankylosaurus is featured in Zoo Tycoon 2: Extinct Animals.
- Ankylosaurus makes various appearances in the Land Before Time series.
- An Ankylosaurus appears in Dinosaur Revolution.
- Anguirus from the Godzilla series is based on Ankylosaurus.
- A baby Ankylosaurus served as a main character in the Japanese book and animated film You Are Umasou.
- Ankylosaurus had a brief cameo in Fantasia.
- Ankylosaurus is a playable Vivosaur in Fossil Fighters series
- Ankylosaurus appears three times in Dinosaur King.
- Ankylosaurus also appears three times in Dinosaur Train. There's a character named Hank Ankylosaurus the best dino ball player.
- Ankylosaurus makes it's appearance in Dino Hunter: Deadly Shores as the Trophy Hunt dinosaur "Bastion".
- Ankylosaurus is one of the creatures players can encounter in the videogame Ark: Survival Evolved in which players have to survive on an island filled with prehistoric creatures. In this game, Ankylosaurus is one of the many creatures tameable by players. It can even be ridden when provided with the right saddle.