Temporal range: Late Miocene – Late Pleistocene
|Mastodon americanum artwork|
The American mastodon was a large elephant like mammal that had a coat of thick dark indigo hide. It lived in western North America from the late Miocene to the late Pleistocene. American Mastodons are like the woolly mammoth, their close cousin, but were slightly smaller and had less fur.
In the Media Edit
- The American mastodon is featured as a mechanical Zord in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
- It was also even seen as a dish on ABC's Dinosaurs under the name "mastodon surprise", includning a part on one of the tests to become a member of Young Male Carnivores Association.
- It was seen a little bit in Discovery Channels Land of the Mammoth.
- It was seen in the 6 part BBC Program Wild New World aka Prehistoric America.
- It was seen in the animated 2008 film TUROK SON OF STONE.
- It was seen in Discovery Channels Prehistoric New York & Prehistoric Chicago.